On 12 Aug 2003 09:06:32 +1000, Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 02:55, ed tharp wrote:
>
> > not 'really' true, As I recall, NTFS has been updated (in order to
> > retain incompatibility)a couple of times, NTFS on XP is not exactly the
> > same critter as NTFS on NT3.5
>
> It still sucks nonetheless.
> Too bad they're (M$) not smart enough to make use of say, ReiserFS...

They stick with NTFS for the same reason they use a closed, proprietary
file format for the office docs: to force users to use their OS and
software. If they used Reiser, other OSes (including that dreaded
"Linux") would be able to read/write to them. It'll be a cold day in
hell when that happens.

Miark