Anarky wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

Anarky wrote:

you know ... turns out this slowdown only happens when copying from fat32 to fat32 ... when copying from fat32 to linux partition it's constantly at about 9mb/second. Still, acording to your huge test results my hdds might be somehow missconfigured, or is

Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.85 seconds =150.59 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.87 seconds = 34.22 MB/sec

normal for a 7200 rpm 20Gb Ibm drive?

My 40 g Maxtor gives,
hdparm -tT /dev/hda
     Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.56 seconds =228.57 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.67 seconds = 38.32 MB/sec

I think my main is exactly that 40gb Maxtor .. and it only gives 150mb/sec! what could be wrong?

I'm not really the one to ask, but, maybe you don't have DMA set, both in linux and in bios ?

I would check in bios that DMA is enabled, as charles Edwards has remorslessly said to me, start with bios then think about the OS.

Also do you have a spindle speed of 7200,
do you have your OS on the fastest portion of the hard drive disc.
remember very large hard drives have 2 spinning discs, so the fastest
portion on the discs is not going to be in the middle, though probably not
so in your case. Don't know though.

just a few suggestions

John

John