Yep.  I am not kidding. Are these slimeballs a bunch of maggot puke or
what?

SCO ready to clean out Linux users for $1399 per CPU
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago

Linux users face a serious question. Is $699 too much to pay for a good
bath?

The $699 scrubbing fee is exactly how much SCO wants for one CPU's worth
of a Linux license, and that's just for the time being. Come October 15,
the single CPU fee jumps to a whopping $1,399.

This is the latest word from SCO handed down by Mr. Clean himself - SCO
CEO Darl McBride, during a Tuesday conference call. SCO had been holding
out on exactly how much it planned to charge Linux users for their use
of what it claims is borrowed Unix code, but now all has been made clear
- crystal clear.

"Cleary, it's at a point and time where we are going to take matters
into our own hands and move forward," McBride said. "It's time to start
marching onward again with our legal claims."

McBride enjoys referring to Linux users as a "tainted" bunch. He seems
to see them as some group of unbathed mongrels that that covet other
peoples' intellectual property for their coding pig-pens.

This really isn't the nicest language to use for such an amicable crew,
especially when SCO's real beef is with IBM and Red Hat. But SCO claims
that IBM and Red Hat are the ones that forced it to put the blame on
Linux users. Since IBM and Red Hat won't rush to the Linux community's
rescue and hand over millions for unproven claims, SCO must attack the
little guys.

And attack it has. Both the $699 and $1,399 fees are a hefty price to
pay for something you are not even sure exists.

Does SCO own some pieces of Linux? Is it IBM's fault? Is Red Hat to
blame as well? Only a court can decide this, and the IBM lawsuit is not
set for trial until 2005 with any legal action against Red Hat following
that.

Dropping a few bucks for a car-wash may make more practical sense in the
near term, if being clean concerns you.

If, however, you are an enterprise Linux customer that wants to go ahead
and shell out a few grand for the 'dirty' Linux servers in your data
center, then give 1-800-726-8649 a call. Customer service representative
are standing by. SCO has hosed them down with a month's worth of
training.

SCO is not saying how much a multiprocessor or embedded license will
cost just yet. Representatives on the conference call noted that
providing such information would bore the tech journos and analysts
ringing in. Not true.

These details are to be posted on SCO's Web site at some point and time.
The licensing needs, of course, only apply to users of the Linux kernel
2.4 and above.

Should you have any doubts about how far SCO plans to take this death
march, have a quick peek at the SCO Forum page. It's here that we are
told, "The World Is Not Enough." (Thanks for that, Charles.) ®

--LX
--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk