> I think I understand now! I didn't really believe it until now, but I guess=
>  it's true! I saw this kind of thing happen on Star Trek - TNG once. Rememb=

Well, that was "Darmok" and the other captain & crew only were able to
speak using emtaphors. For example "Juliet on her balcony".

It was one of the better episodes. THroughout the early 1990s I remember
people on BBSes and newsgroups (precursors and alternates to Usenet at
the time) using phrases from that episode quite a bit.

Another episode (from ST Voyager) features a group of people who are
involved in paramilitary operations who speak English, but whose choice
of words are littered with words that one would not use in everyday
speech. It is as if they wrote the script normally, and then did a
search & replace with a thesaurus plugin :). For instance, they'd
substitute 'look' with 'glance'.