On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:21:19PM -0500, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Friday August 15 2003 03:47 pm, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > Michael Adams wrote:

> > >Wouldn't this be accumulating losses exponentially?
> > >Like 5% loss in original mp3. Convert to wav then 5% loss from
> > > wav to ogg = total loss of 25%. Of course i may be blowing
> > > smoke.
> >
> > I don't believe it would accumulate like that.  I think that if
> > you recompress an .mp3 to another lossy file format you *may*
> > have a cumulative loss of quality relative to the original
> > uncompressed .wav file.  I think it depends on the compression
> > format that is being used on both files.
> >
> > If you save an .mp3 as a wav file it will have the same quality
> > as the .mp3 but with a much larger file size.  It will not
> > increase the quality of the file.  It can't get any better than
> > the file from which it is created (the mp3).  It will sound
> > exactly the same and will take up 5, 6, 7 or more times the space
> > on your hard drive depending on the bit rate of the original
> > file.  To get the best quality you need to create compressed
> > files directly from the original wav.
>
>     Well y'all surely got this figured better than I can. I know tho
> if I take a 800mb movie an an rescale it usin
>
> mencoder input.mpg [or .avi or .wmv] -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4 -vop scale=640:480 -oac copy -o output.avi
>
>    The output.avi MB's are cut in half, the quality difference isn't
> discernable. I can burn it to a CDr along with a smaller movie,
> whereas before it wouldn't fit by itself. I've yet to have a need
> to rescale mp3's or wav's tho. Cdr's are cheap, I already fit
> around 20 to 25 normalized wav's to an audio CDr, 100 to 125 mp3's
> to a data CDr ;)

Have you tried vcd for video? You might get even better compression.

I'm a strictly ogg operation now, and I only keep the files on my
computer and CF to play through headphones on my Zaurus. I have an 8GB
hard drive just for that, and I have just about my entire CD collection
on it at ogg -q3. Note: some bastard(s) stole over 50 of my CDs a few
years back, and I haven't even come close to replacing them what with
the bastards that sell CDs charge so freakin' much. I mean, should I
have to pay $20 for Larry Carlton's self-titled/Room 335 album? Plus I
had two copies of one album on vinyl, then bought it on CD. (Luckily
someone in a.b.ogg had that one!) Wait, I'm just rambling now . . .

Honestly, I can't tell a difference between -q 3 and -q 4.

Todd

--
Name that tune #7: A lot of people don't have much food on their table,
but they got a lot of forks and knives; well they gotta cut something.