> r u serious? ogg actually compresses better than mp3? And it's also
> free? r u serious? I mean I'm totally new to this ogg stuff. And what do

Sure. Many people are saying that. I haven't done many tests to
determine this for myself. For one test:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      3394855 Aug 17 10:50 /tmp/18.Larger Than Life.ogg
-rw-r--r--    1 dfox     users    42693164 Aug 15 23:19 /tmp/18.Larger Than Life.wav
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      4717988 Aug 17 10:53 /tmp/18.Larger Than
Life.wav.mp3

(from a lingering kiss alive ii wav)

The ogg was encoded 'oggenc -q3 <wavfile>; the mp3 was encoded <lame
--preset hifi <wavfile>. Now that's probably an unfair test since the
kbps rate is seemingly lower with -q3 in ogg. And both are variable bit
rate encodings. preset hifi is supposedly 160kbps.

mpg123 reports the mp3 as 128kbps joint-stereo. You can see for yourself
that the ogg is significantly smaller than the mp3. :)

> you convert with? Rezound? Or is there some batch conversion tool/script.

ogg123, oggenc etc. They should be on your distro CDs.

Lyvim (whom i had a long conversation with yesterday morning) says that
one can convert between the two using 'sox'. This works, and doesn't
seem to take up any intervening disk space. Otherwise, I'd use a filter
in a shell script. sox of course can be this filter ala:

for i in *.mp3
do
  sox $i $i.ogg
done

needs some cleanup etc., and you'll probably end up with filenames
ending in .mp3.ogg :)

One thing - it doesn't seem that one can pass conversion specifics, like
-q3 or bit rate etc. this way to the vorbis encoder. Sox uses a vorbis
library only, it's a different front end than oggenc. You may need to
use oggenc directly, or pipe the input from sox into oggenc (can that
read from stdin? it should be able to)