-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Stephen Kuhn
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 10:22 PM
To: Mandrake Newbie
Subject: Re: [newbie] Linux saves MS's butt.

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 08:44, Erylon Hines wrote:
> Looks like that's whats been done.  Any errors trying to access will have
> lot to do with DNS updates not showing up on our servers for 24 hours or
so
> (just guessing, but I've seen it before).
>
> However, their solution is pretty half-assed, and I can see all kinds of
holes
> in their thinking.  The next dns worm that's aimed at them will be getting
> its address from Google or somewhere similar, and not using the static
> address like this one apparantly does.  Also, I'm beginning to wonder if
> there isn't more to this worm than the spin doctors would have us believe,
> because the solution MS may be using seems kind of extreme.  They've
> sacrificed the update feature for hundreds of thousands of users, many of
> whom are going to become infected in the next 24 hours.  A fishy smell,
> there.

> This is a perfect example of a Microsoft fix. Avoid the REAL issue and
> do something different.
>
> They're not fixing the initial problem, and they already know that
> they're boxs can't stand the heat. They're taking the coward's way out.
>
> I don't think they're realising that they've just fsck'ed millions of
> Windows users that don't have a clue about this bug or any of what's
> been going on.
>
> I am just waiting to see what kind of press they're going to release to
> make themselves look good again - I'm sure it will have heaps of spin in
> it...
>
> --
> Sat Aug 16 15:15:00 EST 2003
> 15:15:00 up 12 days, 19:03,  3 users,  load average: 1.52, 1.89, 2.26
> |            __    __          | illawarra computer services    |
> |           /-oo /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com          |
> |          .\__/ || |   |      |================================|
> |       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                   |
> |      | /  \__.`=._) (_       | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
>   linux user #:267497 linux machine #:194239 * MDK 9.1+ & RH 9
>       Mandrake Linux Kernel 2.4.21-11mdk Cooker for i586
>  * This message was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer *
>
>  Microsoft Mandatory Survey (#13)
>
>  Customers who want to upgrade to Windows 98 Second Edition must now fill
>  out a Microsoft survey online before they can order the bugfix/upgrade.
>
> Question 13: Which of the following new Microsoft products do you plan on
>            buying within the next 6 months?
>
> A. Windows For Babies(tm) - Using an enhanced "click-n-drool" interface,
>    babies will be able to learn how to use a Wintel computer, giving them
>    a head start in living in a Microsoft-led world.
>
> B. Where In Redmond Is Carmen Sandiego?(tm) - The archvillian Sandiego has
>    stolen the Windows source code and must be stopped before she can
>    publish it on the Net.
>
> C. ActiveKeyboard 2000(tm) - An ergonomic keyboard that replaces useless
> [...]

Anyone dumb enough to leave a PC wide open with no protection, and got hit
by this worm deserves it - Just as much as someone who runs linux with no
security deserves to have their box owned.

Bill Gates didn't make people idiots, God did. Hate the user, not the
developer.

Next...

Brandon Vanderberg
www.clueless.m$killedmydoggy.andi'mgonnacry.whaaa.com

Linux User #34.5 | Linux machine
123amicoolyet472notyet340now?987NO!needlongersig05789
Kernel 9.12.45customsupercoolAllYourThreadsAreBelongToUs
Current load = WhoGivesAFlyingFock | Average Load = NoOneDoes
Number of times aterm has been run since last reboot = 12,638 (cuz people
wanna know that)
My signature isn't long enough to make me l33t yet...
This computer is %100 Microsoft tolerant.

        "I drive a 1971 Ford Truck. I can work on any part of it, so everybody
driving anything else must suck. And the people that make those other cars
are trying to take over the world and must be kill- ... er... sued."
                - B. Vanderberg (about 5 minutes ago)