> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 10:26, Brandon Vanderberg wrote:
>

> > Anyone dumb enough to leave a PC wide open with no protection,
> and got hit
> > by this worm deserves it - Just as much as someone who runs
> linux with no
> > security deserves to have their box owned.
> >
> > Bill Gates didn't make people idiots, God did. Hate the user, not the
> > developer.
> >
> > Next...
> >
> > Brandon Vanderberg

> Feel you're being a bit harsh here.
>
> Don't forget that the vast majority of computer users/car drivers/TV
> watchers have no idea what goes on under the hood & only realise this
> when things go wrong. Ms has been sold on it's ease of use - and people
> have believed the salesmen (it's also been sold on greater security).
>
> By the time a lot of folks find out it's too late, and by that time all
> sorts of behind the scenes activity has been going on.
>
> Remember the greats of the past: Ford Pinto, Firestone tyres, etc. etc.?
>
> Blame the developer.
>
> Paul M.

Yeah,

Though I would agree that most do not understand what's going on under the
hood, it's the decision not to protect their computer (whatever it's OS)
that leaves them open to attacks. It doesn't take an advanced Computer
Science degree or even formal computer training to know that systems which
are regularly connected to the Internet should be protected - with a good
firewall and regular software updates at a minimum. I've found (and firmly
believe) that reinforcing this to users is far more productive than blaming
the person that wrote the software.

And no, I don't really hate users - just bad decisions like not using the
tools and advice that are widely available.

Brandon