> I guess I will ask again, I have read the manuals on lame ripperX, gprip, and
> still get nothing but empty mp3 files. I am missing something. No progress

I haven't tried grip in a long time. I typically use cdparanoia and
lame. I don't do a whole lot of cd copying / ripping though. I'm kinda
doing the reverse :) mp3 to cd conversions.

I suppose using grip would be helpful if you are trying to rip directly
from the cd, without using any intermediate space for wav storage.

I will mention konqueror audiocd:/ plugin since no one seems to have
mentioned it. This is one slick puppy in the newer KDEs. konqueror and
then select audio cd browser with a cd inserted into the drive. Then you
can look at the cd's tracks individually as if they were files, and
manipulate them, copy them, or even ogg / mp3. One thing you want to do
is to copy the ogg's or mp3's off somewhere else, since konqueror stores
them in its own internal temp structure directories, and if you navigate
away, they're gone and you have to re-encode.