ed tharp wrote:

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 15:11, Anarky wrote:

Michael Lothian wrote:

Yes it will work

cool. And will this 'squid' have features like instant cache when going to a website and then refreshing .. or anything like that?

this squid works like AOL. you don't know it's there, but gee wilikers,
even with 3 users on a single dialup, it seems much faster (to my wife,)
than her windows dialup by itself.

wow. Dialup modem in linux? That's something that I could never get to work.

I am not sure exactly what 'instant cache' is, but if you need to hit
refresh, and there is any newer page than what is in cache, you will get
the newer page.

sounds really cool. I'm downloading squid.

Install and configure the squids server (your best to configure it with drakwizard)

hmmm .. this sounds strange. drakwizard sounds like a mandrake tool, squid isn't afaik ... how can one know about the other?

this is 'open source' Mandrakes tools can know about other tools and
vice versa. heck, this stuff works TOGETHER. what a concept,,,

and where would I get this 'drakwizard' ? what's it's package name?

The tell your browser to use localhost 3128 as your proxy

ummm .. how exactly .. the 'connection' options in my Firebird are many. I assume I check 'manual proxy cofiguration' and then write 'localhost' for htttp proxy configuration and 3128 as the port near it? how do I do about the rest (ftp proxy config , ssl ...) ? do I leave them empty? and do I leave the default "noproxy for: localhost, 127.0.0.1" or do I insert something near 'automatic proxy configuration url'? I've had a rough time configuring my network right ... and I still am pretty clueless as to things like: is 'localhost' some kind of magic name that always works .. or does it depend on the name I put for my computer name ... or soething like that? Could u please point me ot some mandrake network configuration doc so that I can finally understand the stuff the mandrake network wizard (there was always this spot where I didn't know what to write and wrote the name I have given my computer ... bit I'm confused, as somebody I think told me I should set it to localhost ... or something