Is your rc file  ~/.dillo/dillorc  ?

Also, did you make sure opera is in your path?

And did you restart (or start a new) dillo after editing the rc file?

I just tried it with opera and it worked:

#external_browser=firebird_newtab
external_browser=opera

Oh, wait. The open in external browser link does not show up when you
right click a link.  You have to rmb somewhere else, and it will send
the *current* url to a new browser.
Is that the problem?

eric