On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 03:10:45PM +0000, John Richard Smith wrote:
> OK, so this is a tipical download via my smart card reader,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cd /root/sane2
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] sane2]# ls
> dsci0001.jpg*  dsci0007.jpg*  dsci0013.jpg*  dsci0019.jpg*
<snip>
> These are digital camera pix , the product of an event to which I would
> like to add a replacement prefix for "dsci" to reflect the nature of
> the
> event and a date, so in this case I might choose something lile
> "bankholiday240803<followed by 0001.jpg> etc.
>
> Can someone suggest a script to do this for me so I don't have to
> manually retype the file name in properties for each file. It would be
> nice if I could run the script and it asked me for  a syntax , which
> would be different in each event , and then added it in place of the
> bit
> of syntax to be removed.
> I think it might be nice if I could just copy the bash script file to
> the source directory and run it from there, dunno though .
>
> Possible ?

My getpix script will do this--you're welcome to take a look at it and
see how I did the renaming scheme, which is basically called like
"getpix -n bankholiday" which would give you "bankholiday-001.jpg"

http://clevername.homeip.net/scripts/

Assuming you're mounting your smartcard reader, you can use the entire
script as-is, just change the variables to suit your needs.

> Also out of pure curiosity why does the file names all end in " * " ?

I believe it means they are executable.

Todd