John Richard Smith wrote:

Miark wrote:

It's possible the old mount setting in fstab is still active.
Have you checked mtab to make sure the partition isn't already
mounted?

Miark

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:27:49 -0400, Brant Fitzsimmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, I did "mount -t xfs /dev/hdg1 /drive2".

This is the correct drive and mount point. This combo worked for a long time using reiserfs.

The pertinent lines from my fstab file are:

/dev/hdg1 /drive2 xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/hdh1 /drive3 xfs defaults 1 2

What did diskdrake do wrong? I sure as heck didn't change anything. I let the expert (diskdrake) do it and it screwed up.

I still haven't received my first post. Interesting..

This may be irrelevant as I have no experience with xfs partitions,

but, shouldn't the lines be something like,

/dev/hdg1 /mnt/drive2 xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/hdh1 /mnt/drive3 xfs defaults 1 2

John

They would appear that way only if I was mounting them to /mnt/drive2 and /mnt/drive3. You can mount them to any directory on the machine. I chose to mount them to /drive2 and /drive3.

Very late last night I found them problem. It matches up perfectly with what Tom suggested.

diskdrake never made the conversion from reiserfs to xfs, it only changed the fstab entries. So Mandrake was trying to the mount reiserfs formatted drives as if they were xfs formatted drives. You can imagine how well that worked.

I mounted them as reiserfs and found that they were still working as reiser. I then unmounted them, after recovering the data that was on them, and manually created the xfs partition using "mkfs -t xfs -f /dev/hdg1" for "drive2" and "mkfs -t xfs -f /dev/hdh1" for "drive3".
I then changed the entries in fstab from:

/dev/hdg1 /drive2 reiserfs notail 1 2
/dev/hdh1 /drive3 reiserfs notail 1 2

to:

/dev/hdg1 /drive2 xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/hdh1 /drive3 xfs defaults 1 2

Bingo! All done.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
  AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.25mdkduron
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
13:10:00 up  8:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.13, 0.13

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)