On Wednesday August 27 2003 12:13 pm, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:

> >>There are no entries for either drive in mtab.
> >
> >   mtab is generated from fstab, an shouldn't be fooled with
> >
> >   Brant, try puttin your 1st CD in an check the partitions with
> > the installers diskdrake. It could be that when you used
> > diskdrake the changes were never made, or the partitions were
> > never formatted for XFS, an they're still ReiserFS. Probly
> > cause the partitions weren't unmounted. Also, with either
> > ReiserFS or XFS, Civileme use to suggest a ext3 /boot
> > partition. IME, it was/is good advice.
>
> I did exactly that and that is what I found.  I posted my
> findings to the expert list last evening.  I forgot to post them
> here as well.

    Well, jeez, I had that notion when you first posted the problem,
but with the chronology mismatches in the lists, I often see
reluctant to jump in, since I was only seein others diagnosis of
the problem. No sooner than I hit 'send', I saw a reply from you
that you'd figured it out by yourself.  Good for you ;)

    I don't believe it's a diskdrake bug tho. MOF, it's a feature to
safeguard still mounted partitions. The only bug would be that
diskdrake didn't tell you that nothin was done to disk, since the
partitions weren't successfully unmounted to be reformatted. An I
believe the developers are already aware of, an workin on that.
I've been aware that diskdrake runnin from CD is much better than
foolin with it on the booted system. Actually that's the resolution
IMO, just always use diskdrake from the 1st CD.  Then it's
bulletproof ;)

> >   IIRC, you're runnin cooker. FWIW, RC1 iso's look like they're
> >comin to the mirrors today. The beta2 iso's are gone, and so far
> >the RC1 md5sum file is posted. So maybe ya want to wait for
> > those before fixin your partitions.
>
> I saw that.
>
> Warly, from Mandrakesoft, released the bittorrent info for them:
>
> btdownloadheadless.py --url
> http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/torrent/MandrakeLinux-9.2rc1-CD1.i586.
>iso.torrent --saveas MandrakeLinux-9.2rc1-CD1.i586.iso

    Yeah an bittorrent sux for me. That's why I bitched'n moaned on
the cooker list to get the iso's posted to ftp. bittsux has been
workin on CD2 & 3 for almost 20 hours now, about 50% done. I've
never been much of a p2p fan.  Now I'm fixin to be an enemy of it.
I shortened the url an took a look at the site first. All 3 iso's
were there. Soon after I pasted Warly's CL into a term, it dawned
on me the if I just changed the 1 to a 2 after both 'CD's, I could
start a CD2 'torrent' (what'a misnomer). Same with 3.

    OTOH, we all need to get along, so I'm letin all three iso's to
be uploaded from my connection. Even tho I'm givin far more than
gettin. I'm gettin tired of Mandrake's increasing games as releases
get closer to final tho. I was only amused when they resorted to
false names for iso's, but this bitchtorrent method really sux.

   At least my complaint (maybe?) got Warly to post the 1st CD. It
was d/l'd and burned within the hour. I only need the damn things
for backup anyhow, and to take a look at the installer. I'm already
past RC1. Be even further if the primary mirror (sunsite) ever
straightens out.