On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, HaywireMac wrote:

> Most of the guides and tutorials I see use ~/.procmalrc as an example,
> for use with Fetchmail.
>
> Now, I would like my machine to run Fetchmail as a system service, then
> have Procmail twiddle with the mail once it's been delivered to the
> appropriate maildirs, ie. /var/spool/mail/[username].
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Can a systemwide Procmail config
> deal with multiple user accounts that have their mail delivered with
> Fetchmail, or should I be using Postfix instead of Fetchmail (can
> Postfix retrieve mail from a POP server?!)
>
> Brain...feels...sore...

you're definately barking up the correct tree here. there are a few
different ways you can use procmail to filter and sort the mail as it
comes in.

        1) you can create a .procmailrc file for each individual user
           on the machine.

        2) you can configure, by hand the /etc/procmailrc file and load
           the recipes in with a text editor.

        3) you can use the Procmailrc config utility that is available
           through webmin to assist in the creation and configuration
           of procmail.  https://127.0.0.1:10000/procmail/

There is also a ton of awesome Procmail primers on the net that can help
get you started and configure a fine implementation of Procmail.

This is likely the best procmail "security" page I've ever seen:
http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

here's a good "getting started" page:
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

--
Mark

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then who's the father?"
Linux User Since 1996