On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:49:39 -0400
Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> This doesn't sound too hard.

To a software test engineer maybe... <g>

> 1.  Run Fetchmail as root

So, if I were to follow Stephen's advice and use cron instead of
inetd, I could just su root and crontab -e to create an entry then....?
And fetchmail would call Procmail, and then Postfix would automagically
be waiting when Procmail was done it's business? And the hip bone's
connected to the... ;-)

> and pass the mail off through procmail on the way to Postfix.
> Procmail runs a /etc/procmailrc recipe as a root service and calls the
> nkvir recipe through an include file from that recipe.  You can also
> add in Spamassassin and any other filters in this recipe.

Ok, so I had it backwards, it's Procmail *b4* Postfix then...

> 2.  Then the mail goes to Postfix who delivers to local mail box file,
>
> /var/spool/mail/user based on aliases or the rewrite done by fetchmail
> in the .fetchmailrc file ([EMAIL PROTECTED] is jblow here).

Ya, since I'm already with configuring that on fetchmail I would
probably start there, and learn aliases after.

> 3.  From the local user directory, create a .forward file that calls
> procmail and applies a local user.procmailrc recipe to do local
> filtering, although I imagine this is supposed to catch stuff that is
> different from the first set of recipes, I am imagining a conservative
> set of filters for global filtering and a more aggressive set here.

I am looking at sticking to a strictly global config, assuming that I
will allow for a minimal amount of spam to reach the end user. The main
thing is to catch *all* attachments that end in .pif, etc.

The occasional bit of annoying spam is OK.

> So, you could also call spamassassin a second time here and apply
> user_prefs that would apply a customized set of filters for user mail.
>  Procmail, called from the .forward file would then
> put the mail into $maildir/user, should be /home/user/Mail/etc.
>
> 4.  Run an IMAP daemon that allows a user to connect with IMAP and
> they will pull read and write their mail directly to the maildir
> directories, no need to use POP which would remove the mail from the
> server to a local directory, with IMAP, mail stays on the server and
> the user just accesses through the client direct to the server and
> their maildir directories.

Ok, so you and Stephen seem to be in agreement there. With IMAP, tho, is
it still /var/spool/mail/*?

> This is way more complex than what I currently do but I think that
> this is the way that it would work.

Ya, like I say, it's mainly a learning exercise. I'll take it slow, I
have a test mail account I can use, and a seperate server box, so if I
bork it I can just start over, no harm done. Nice to have that luxury,
wot?

Thanks very much!

--
HaywireMac