On Thursday 04 September 2003 01:22, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 07:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I've installed Mandrake 9.1 on my Fujitsu Lifebook L-470 (192M RAM, ESS
> > sound, NeoMagic X128 (iirc) video) and everything seems to be working
> > quite well.  This is a PIII (Mobile) 366 Mhz system.
> >
> > But there are two problems which I suspect are related.  I've scoured the
> > net and can't find anything relevent, so I'm hoping someone in here can
> > help.
> >
> > The system is very, very slow.
>
> What I'd want to know is have you installed the proper drivers for the
> video card, have you tried to tweak the kernel params for the bus, have
> you tried to use hdparm to tweak the drive access, have you turned off
> any unnecessary services/daemons...what fs are you using...
>
> stephen kuhn

I just remembered that for the neomagic 128XD that's in mine, I had to edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and set the "DefaultColourDepth" to 16 instead of 24.

Yours might be a more recent model but my card got short on memory trying to
run at 24 on 1024x768.

just on an extra note: Stephen if you could separate your sig with -- (2
dashes) I wouldn't have to delete it every time I reply, though it definitely
is more bandwidth friendly than your previous one;o)....Ta.

--
Good luck,

HarM

Mandrake HowTo's & More:-) http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org