On Thursday 04 September 2003 10:34 pm, Mathieu Frenette wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP installed on a 30GB hard drive
> (with a single NTFS partition). I wanted to install Mandrake 9.1 with
> dual boot handled by LILO.  I therefore installed Mandrake with the
> "resize Windows partition" option.  However, it looks like I've lost
> everything that was on this partition.  Is it because, during a resize,
> only data on a FAT partition can be preserved, and not with NTFS?
>
> When I do an "ls /mnt/windows", it gives the error "ls: reading
> directory /mnt/windows: Input/output error". Also, when I boot with a
> DOS boot disk, I can not even see any drive letter (such as C:, D:...)
> but only the floppy drive A:
>
> So I guess the other part of my question is, if I want to reinstall
> Windows XP, how can I get back my C: drive letter in the first place?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointer,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mathieu.

Please post a copy of your /etc/fstab file.  For the record, I am pretty sure
that Mandrake does not mount an ntfs partition using /mnt/windows, more like
/mnt/win_c or something like that.  Could be the fstab settings are not
correct under the entry for windows.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer