On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 07:16, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2003 02:16 am, Liechti wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > "resize Windows partition" option.  However, it looks like I've lost
> >
> > I had the same problem, but i didnt resize my disc. the lilo just didnt
> > write the entry for my windows partition. you can set up the boot loader in
> > the mandrake controll center. you're using one disk in ypu laptop i think.
> >
> > but try this in shell first:
> > mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows_xp
> >
> > if it works, you should edit your bootloader. otherwise i can't help
> > anymore...
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > So I guess the other part of my question is, if I want to reinstall
> > > Windows XP, how can I get back my C: drive letter in the first place?
> >
> > if you reinstall windows, it will make your C: drive on his own.
> > ******************************
> > but you'll loose all you data!
> > ******************************
> >
> > to catch your data, i would prefer norton ghost. this program copies the
> > hole harddisk to another disk in a ghost-file, in example to a cd-rw. after
> > this you can install you windows, install norton ghost explorer and catch
> > your data out of the ghost-file. it works mostley. but its a long way...
> > but the only one in know.
> >
> > remo
>
> Provided the partition is still intact, getting WinXp back is trivial.  Boot
> from the WinXp cd and choose recovery console.  Once at the command line,
> issue the command "fixmbr" and hit enter.  Reboot.  Voila, WinXP back again
> and the world cries for you.
I have a botched w2k nt partition in a triple boot dev/hda7
7.1G  2.9G  3.9G  43% /
/dev/hdc5             4.9G  2.3G  2.7G  46% /home
/dev/hda4             4.3G  2.4G  1.9G  57% /mnt/nt
/dev/hda1              28G   17G   12G  61% /mnt/win_c
/dev/hdc6             4.7G  2.2G  2.6G  46% /mnt/win_c2
/dev/hda6             8.6G  1.4G  7.3G  16% /mnt/win_d
/dev/hda8             2.8G  1.1G  1.7G  39% /var

and I noticed in the recovery mode of w2k, both fixmbr and fixboot.
which should I use? and will it screw up lilo?

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org