On Friday 05 September 2003 10:24 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 05 Sep 2003 2:22 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > This whole MS virus garbage may not affect our beloved 'nix in any
> > real way, but man it sure is getting our list in a tizzy.
> >
> > I hope the infection source is found and remedied as soon as
> > possible.
>
> The source is, of course, important.  I would also like a few more
> answers about how it is getting through various checks.  And above
> all I would like to know how to filter out to safety (before they get
> to the machine) all attachments ending in .pif, .exe, .bat and .com.
> I know, I know, if I didn't spend so much time reading here I could
> get fetchmail, postfix and the rest up and running :-(

If you use SpamAssassin and turn mime defang on, it would probably do that
pretty much for you, most binary attachments come as mime IIRC.  I don't do
the mime defang thing myself because the wife still receives some email in
html form and I at least want her to have the option of viewing it in html
format.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer