This is a PII 366 Mhz Fujitsu Lifebook L-470 with 192M RAM and a 30G
Hitachi harddrive, Neomagic X128 video, ESS soundcard, and Mandrake 9.1
(dual booting w/W2K Server):

First, thanks to Mr. Bathoorn and the list in general for the help in
getting my installation to operate efficiently.  It's mostly good now, I'm
not sure what I did, but I did go to Mandrake Config and turn off CUPS,
that seemed to make a big difference.  Then I went through and reconfigured
most things and, whatever, it's working quickly now.  Gnome Monitor still
doesn't work -- it still starts the program and then kills itself before it
shows the screen (well, actually it's not dead, it's still running, but
there's nothing showing).  I can live with that by not using it.  One other
oddity -- when I change the resolution and it offers to test the new
resolution, no test appears, I'm just returned to the previous screen.

I can't seem to switch away from Gnome to KDE.  I've selected KDE in
Mandrake Config:System:Interface (or similar), I've played with the
Mandrake Config: Boot section, I've played with all the configs I can find
and set all to KDE and rebooted, but even though they still say KDE when I
check them, Gnome is booted up.  I don't want to delete Gnome, I do want to
try other interfaces to see which suits me best.

I installed 9.1 from disks I burned myself from the Mandrake website.  3
disks were called for, but there were 5 disks.  What's on those other 2
disks?  I've looked around and can't seem to find descriptions of the disk
contents (one seems to be an additional international data, the other is
'extras"?).

Finally, since it looks like I've no plans for tomorrow (except as subject
to change by the /dev/wife), I've been thinking about installing 9.2.
Anyone here have bad experiences with this yet?  Should I wait 6 months?
Since Mandrake 9.2 was released the day after I installed 9.1, would I be
doing the linux community a disservice to install 9.2 tomorrow and thus
spur the release of 9.3 for Monday?  <grin>

Thanks,
Max