On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 12:28, Paul wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 02:25, robin wrote:
> > Paul wrote:
> >
> > >The vote on software patents in Europe has been deferred until 22nd
> > >September following the protests over the past week. It had already been
> > >put back from June because of MEPs' doubts.
> > >
> > >http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39116053,00.htm
> > >

> >  From that article:
> >
> > "Software patents have been likened to allowing a monopoly on the ideas
> > behind stories, "
> >
> > Dammit, _I_ thought of that one first!  Several years ago, I said that
> > software patents were like someone writing a detective story, then
> > patenting the idea that the butler did it.  This is _my_ intellectual
> > property, and I'm going to sue everybody to protect it!
> >
> > Sir Robin
>
> Was that before or after I patented writing?
>
> Paul M
When James Watt patented his condensing steam engine, he forgot that
someone else had patented the crankshaft. He never built a steam engine
with a crankshaft. preferring to use a walking beam configuration.
"Lawyers are like Beavers.. they get in the mainstream of progress and
dam it up". ---Naismith the third Wave