Hi folks, my first experience with linux isnt going very well...

Installing Mandrake from CD-ROM - it detects all my hardware ok (apart from my usb Epson C42 printer but let's worry about that later) including my Geforce4 card and here's the problem. Hitting the test button on the graphics card selection screen at any resolution or colour depth just gives me a black screen....

I continued with the installation anyway and after another hour or so it booted fine - hit the return key to run linux and it does all the xxxxxx [OK] lines until it gets to "xinextd....." at which point I get a black screen. I'm thinking maybe its actually loaded the gui at this point but I can't see it cos of the above problem....

Any ideas folks? BTW plug and play aware OS is SWITCHED OFF in my BIOS at the moment but Windoze XP explicitly says it should be and I am running (well hopefully) a dual boot system - plug and play aware os is important in linux right??

Thanks in advance - please nothing too technical cos I am a complete noob - please let me know if I can provide further info to help diagnose this

Cheers

Petey