> Perhaps the problems I was having installing MDK 9.1 was due to my
> hardware being below minimum specs for 9.1

Stephen - is it really the hardware -- do you get install failures --
or do you think that maybe some of the programs require too much CPU and/or
memory? For instance, you should be able to get by if you don't run a
big hog of a desktop/windows manager -- install & run fluxbox or some
other lightweight window manager. Back several (cough) years ago when I
only had 16 megs RAM on a P/100, I used to run Afterstep. And, I was in
hog heaven, because my previous system was a 386sx/16 with 8 megs of RAM.

128 megs should be enough RAM to complete the install. There is a tech
issue apparently for systems with less RAM, in that there's not enough
RAM to hold the image of the CDROM. Consequently, only one disk can get
installed. But you should be fine with 128mb.

> So I have two options:  1) locate a previous distribution of MDK that
> will work with this 1998 hardware, or 2) upgrade the motherboard, cpu,

7.2 has been suggested to be very stable. My own experiences with it on
my current system (1 ghz athlon, 256 meg ram, matrox fb, etc.) -- and
which is the same system I used when I switched to 7.2 -- is that it was
very stable. 6+ months uptime.

> and ram.  (If doing the hardware upgrade, I'd like to keep the total
> cost down to $200 USD due.)

Yeah, I'm on a budget too. So far, I've managed to do significant hardware
upgrades roughly once every five years.

I would check pricewatch.com -- I'd suggest an ASUS along with an AMD
processor -- you could do well with something in the 1.7+ gig range.
Back in 2001 when I upgraded, the CPU was $200. ;( But Intels were
probably at least twice that. My brother recently paid over $400 for a
Pentium IV 3.0 ghz.