On Sunday September 7 2003 09:39 am, Michael Lothian wrote:
> Your best bet is going to be a motherboard that uses a via
> chipset (as apposed to an nvidea one)
>
> As these are very well supported under linux. Maybe your best
> going for a KT400 instead of the newer KT600 as linux is always a
> little behind in supporting new features.
>
> As most motherboard manufacturers stick to the standard chipset
> from via and don't substitute them for others everything should
> work out the box. It's only when the manufacturer decides that
> sticking some cheep network/sound/<name_of_device_here> chip
> instead that people have problems in linux.
>
> Also people can have trouble with Nvideas stuff as they require
> drivers which aren't GPLd (IFAIK) which means if you try and
> change your kernel without setting up your drivers again linux
> won't boot up :(
>
> I think that was everything. In short buy a very popular board
> that uses a via chipset as more linux people will use them and
> write drivers for them. ;)
>
> Mike

    I'd agree. nforce boards are not for Linux. Let the Windoze
users buy 'em. I've never liked anything SiS. So that leaves VIA.

   A few weeks ago I bought an Aopen AK77-400/Max. On board Realtek
NIC and AC97 5.1 surround sound, KT400a chipset. Mandrake 9.2
cooker booted with the new board, found and properly configured the
NIC and sound. No muss no fuss with anything. KT400a meets or beats
nforce chipsets for performance. But those are Windoze hardware
reviews.

   So when it comes to pickin a motherboard,
o  Don't be guided by Windoze hardware reviews
o  For AMD, only buy a motherboard on their recommended list.
   The ones not listed, aren't listed for very good reasons.
   Tho for the very latest cpu's (eg, XP 3000+, XP 3200+), some
   motherboard brands just might not have been AMD tested yet.
o  Only use a PSU and wattage that's AMD recommended.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348,00.html
o  Keep in mind that ram is just as important, don't use generic.
   (Crucial or Corsair is currently the best)  Buy one grade above
   what's required, eg, DDR400 when DDR333 is required. This is very
   important.
o  Motherboards that allow for increasing voltages with bios
   settings are a big plus, even if you don't overclock. Greatly
   enhances stability, specially for cpu, ram, and AGP cards.
   Some of the better boards provide increased voltages by default
   if they don't have bios settings to raise them.
o  IMO, an Award bios is a plus. Avoid Phoenix.
o  Any decent heatsink and fan will do, but use thermal grease,
   not a thermal pad.  Provide plenty of air movement (ie, case
   cooling).
o  Study bios settings an what they affect. So you can configure
   and tweak the system properly. Many "hardware" problems are
   really just configuration mistakes.
o  Don't just take one person's advice ;)

    For Intel cpu's, you're on your own. IMO, there hasn't been a
decent chipset for Intel processors since the good ol' 440BX.
Probly best to use an Intel Retail (not OEM) board for P4's to be
on the safe side.