On Saturday 06 September 2003 10:40 pm, crak600 wrote:
> On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:28 am, Charlie M. wrote:
> >
> > Probably, but what I posted is still what I think. People running MS
> > virusware shouldn't be calling us or this list infection focal points.
> >
> > I thought there were more than two, and I've also seen a s**t load for
> > every post I've made to newbie and expert. Those all die in /dev/null
> > though. <g>
> >

> so lemme get this straight, a ms-win virus could be picked up in linux, but
> then wouldn't do anything until you booted the computer back into windows,
> right?

   Wrong. Rebooting into windoze would only cause a problem if you then open
the virus in a windoze email client or somehow transfered the virus to your
windoze partition

> from everything i read about that sobig virus, it didn't touch win98
machines,
> i did updates anyway just in case.  makes me glad i didn't go and buy winXP.
> it was the fact that i was completely sick of win98 that i started using
> mandrake  :)
>
> Mike

    You can be glad that you do not have win xp for more reasons than just the
virus issues. I have used machines with 95, 98, ME and XP as best as I can
tell the single biggest difference between 98 and XP is eye candy. Same old
winblows crap with a lot more eye candy and a generous portion of bloat added
also. I almost forgot a defragmentation utility that is as F#$ked up as a
football bat. Any given machine seems to run much slower when 98 is upgraded
to XP, and to top that off there still seems to be a lot of issues with
getting drivers to work in XP. IMHO in the last 5 years all MS has been able
to do is take a bad product and make it worse. A few new features were added
but I cant see where getting a few improvements were worth the problems that
came with them.
   I have seen much more genuine improvement from Mandrake in the 6 months
that it took mandrake to change from 9.0 to 9.1 than I have seen from MS in
the 5 years that it took to go from 98 to XP.

   Oh well enough of my rant.

    Marc
    KM5KW

    Composed on a 100% Windows