On Sunday September 7 2003 01:24 pm, crak600 wrote:
> >    'lspcidrake' and 'ddcxinfos' will tell you which video card
> > you have, and what your monitor specs are (HorizSync,
> > VertRefresh) if the hardware has this info imbedded in it's
> > firmware. There's another utility that reports onboard video
> > ram, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Vram
> > shouldn't be a problem for configuring the Vcard an monitor
> > tho.
>
> as root in a terminal, 'ddcxinfos' will tell you the video card
> ram size.

   Yep, I knew I'd seen it somewhere ;)

> just ran it, so that's how i know.  sadly, this
> NVidia GeForce2 card is only a 32mb card, the same as the NVidia
> RIVA TNT2 i took out, but i can tell a visual difference between
> the cards.  the images on the screen with the GeF2 card are much
> clearer, sharper, have more depth to them.  everything looks
> better.  MUCH better.  and i didn't think it was bad to begin
> with.

    32mb is plenty. Set the aperature to 32 also. You'll never need
more than that.  Most of the time you're only usin about 4mb of
video ram, even at the resolutions you mentioned <I snipped>. A lot
of onboard video ram is mostly a marketing gimmick.

> now that i'm in the GUI and can see all this, in the GUI it's
> showing that i'm using the RIVA TNT2 card still and says i'm
> using a plug'n play moniter, although in a terminal it's showing
> that i'm using the GeF2 card.  should i be concerned with this?
>  the command line makes me 'god' to the computer and i would
> think any info i got from a terminal would be more correct than
> info gotten from a GUI.  is that right?

   I dunno, I've never had that happen, and I have changed video
cards before. I wouldn't worry about it tho. Probly an artifact
left from an upgrade, rather than a fresh install.

> going back up to the first paragraph in your reply Tom, do i need
> to do all that now considering i'm 'in' mandrake now anyway?  or
> should i just skip it and do as stated below, delete the 'old'
> stuff from lilo and do all my updates to the 'new' install and
> just forge on?

    Sounds like all you've got left to do is get rid of the 'old'
stanzas in lilo.conf. Actually you could'a removed them during the
upgrade usin the installer's tool. Now just edit lilo.conf, delete
them an re-run lilo. I believe you can also do this with a GUI in
MCC.