Hello Bryan,

Sunday, September 7, 2003, 6:53:13 PM, you wrote:

BP> On Sunday 07 September 2003 08:18 pm, rikona wrote:

>> Agreed that there will be intermediate routers. Let's say, for
>> simplicity, there's your comp A, with the virus trying to spoof.
>> This is connected to intermediate router B (directly on the net,
>> NOT within any ISP), which in turn goes to victim computer C. Comp
>> A is sending on spoof IP and listening on spoof IP.

BP> The problem is that you are connecting to router B with an IP originating from
BP> Net C (target computer).

Perhaps I'm beginning to see where we are not communicating. Let me
add to the above comp D. Comp D is actually the 'spoof' address, but
in my scenario comp D does not get involved. I'm connecting from A,
trying to look like it's from address D instead, but using the
perfectly legitimate address of comp C (the target computer). Router B
gets the packets from "address D" (spoofed) and to address C. Suppose
router B caches the return direction back to A, in preparation for a
reply back to A from C, instead of handing it over to still another
router for the return. This would seem to be more efficient.

BP> When the request comes in from Computer/Net Range A, spoofing
BP> IP/Net range C, I am going to pass the request to routers on net
BP> range C,

The link from B to C is legitimate and would be handled as any other
traffic, in my scenario. It looks as though D would have to be in the
range of B to work, though, if I am understanding you correctly. This
might only work by using the return cache of the first router, B.
Anything beyond B is just like normal legitimate traffic.

BP> Router B does not store routing tables for internal traffic on a
BP> foreign net range.

Let us suppose address A and D are 'internal' to router B. Would B
cache the (incorrect) route back to A, based on what it receives, or
would it do a lookup? Caching would seem to be more efficient.

BP> I can spoof IP's on my local network all day long, does me no good
BP> if external servers never buy the spoof or send traffic back to
BP> me.

Let us assume that the spoof address in in our 'local' range. Would
the replies come back to the wrong computer because the router cached
the wrong 'wire'?

BP> I would expect that they stay cached for quite a while, it makes
BP> sense to only update when you receive an authoritative source
BP> update and otherwise, keep  the tables the same.

It was this cache idea that generated the scenario. Depends on what is
cached - the actual return path (incorrect) or a brand new lookup
path.

>> I was thinking more along the lines of the zombies that the virus
>> writer already has under his control. A good hacker might have 5000
>> machines to use as he wishes, with the list constantly changing. A
>> single, known open relay will get blocked quickly.

BP> This does happen and is used for DDOS attacks on sites but I still
BP> don't see what we have been talking about with spoofing IP's
BP> having any bearing on  zombie machines.

It doesn't, directly - it was addressing the side comment of how much
intelligence a virus needed to have, and the issue of using a single
blocked open proxy. Slightly different topic. :-)

I appreciate your patience in going through this. I might learn more
about network security too. Thanks.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]