Hello Bryan,

Monday, September 8, 2003, 11:36:12 AM, you wrote:

BP> Rikona, I fond a kind of nice little document that talks about IP
BP> spoofing in general.

Thanks much for the document. It is a nice description. It also
contains a few references that have even more info relating to our
discussion. In going through them, I get the idea that the return
address is NOT cached from address data in the packets. It might be
cached once a valid forward connection has been established, based on
a lookup, but this would eliminate the method I was proposing. So - it
seems as though the idea I had would not work.

The references also went into some details about the various
handshaking that must take place in the connection. These details will
also make it more difficult to do the spoof.

Along the way, I also looked at a number of ways one CAN spoof an IP
address. They are much more complicated than what I was proposing, but
they can/have been done. Most involve tricky timing issues in order to
work, and thus might not be practical for spoofing IP addresses in
email. I would not put it past a clever hacker to put together code to
try to do this, though. Even if only 10-20% of the attempts actually
work, it would still be a threat.

Whew! This took a bit of work to understand. :-) Again, many thanks
for your patience in going through this.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]