From: Anarky [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 3:27 PM
To: mandrake newbie
Subject: [newbie] 4 speakers & linux

    ... I'm really frustrated :-(

high tendency to be angry at linux & stuff ... no,
don't kill me .. I'm
chilling ... but I was really hoping hard that with
Mandrake 9.2 4
speakers Sb Live would work right ... unfortunatelly
it's a big no ...
by big I mean also that the sound is weird ...
probably quite lower
quality than windows ... the drivers were quite weird
.. a lot of
controls ... kmixer couldn't crack it at all ...
alsamixer knew more ...
but none of them gave voice to the rear speakers (btw,
I'm talking about
the 9.2 rc1 version in which I had put high hopes in
..) ... however a
lot of them in some way changed the sound of the sound
.. giving birth
to a lot of ambiguity and a lot of way to make the
sound even lower
quality ... ... is Linux never going to go for simple
sound? Just a
'front-back, left-right' set of sliders and a volume
... that's all I
wanted :( ... I didn't expect all the fancy effects I
could do in
windows ... :-( ... you can tell I'm frustrated ... I
guess ... this was
for a friend's coputer .. she has a Sb Live 5.1 ....
on mine (Sb Live
Value/1024) the back speakers were just as obscure ..
but eventually
with alsa drivers & somewhere hidden in the alsamixer
I managed to turn
them up/on ... even though it's strange as any volume
I turn up in say
xmms or mplayer actually turns up only on the front
speakers ... I'm
pretty sure some of you guys might have 4 speakers ...
or something ... ??

rs ... or something ... ??