On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:42:56 +0100
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Don't want to start a war, but obtaining something with due payment is
>
> theft.

I'm assuming you meant "without". ;-)

Not under *copyright law*. As I said, photocopying a book in the library
is *not* theft, it is a copyright violation, the same way copying or
downloading a song without buying the CD is not theft.

Theft is a criminal offense, punishable by criminal sanctions in a
criminal court. Copying someone else's material, be it a book, CD,
painting, what have you, is not a criminal offense, it is an actionable
civil matter, for a civil court, between a plaintiff and a defendant,
not between the State, the Crown, the People, however it is defined in
your jurisdiction. Doubt me? Ask a lawyer.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046