On Wednesday 10 September 2003 12:54 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 11:06 am, HaywireMac wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:33:08 +0300
> >
> > Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > > No, that's where they've come from.
> >
> > Oh, right.
> >
> > Well, there's gotta be some way they can be made to suffer.
>
> No need, their suffering is inevitable.  Current reports are that measures
> related to filesharing suggest that less people are sharing files.  And
> recent reports indicate that CD sales have fallen by another 15% since they
> started their public crackdown on file-sharing.  So reduced filesharing
> equals reduced CD sales, yeah, they are on the right track allright.

Sorry, got my numbers wrong.  In the seven weeks since the RIAA announced that
they intended to sue file traders, CD sales have declined by 54%.  Larger
than the amount of the decline in file traders.

I guess that answers the question of whether a former file trader is going to
go out and buy CD's once they stop trading files.  May also suggest that file
sharing actually does encourage music purchases.  Definitely suggests that
the RIAA has spent a lot of money in order to get lower profits.

The one potentially silver lining is that public outrage may finally spur
Congress to roll back some of the most egregious changes in the law that they
put in place at the behest of the recording and entertainment industries.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer