Hi!

> Why 20 times? How is it possible to recover a file that has been overwritten once?

Because hard drives use magnetic imprints (I don't know the exact term
for that), even once the magnetic information has been replaced by other
information, the old one should still be present as a kind of ghost
magnetic field.  Obviously, such a ghost cannot be recovered with the
tools provided with any OS.  However, I guess that if a well organized
institute or electrical engineer opens your hard drive and start
analyzing the disks themselves with advanced machines, they could "see"
this ghost and extract the old information out of it.  It may sound like
pure sci-fi, but I'm sure NSA has just the right tools for the task! ;-)

When "shred" does 10 or 20 overwrites, I guess it alternates the bit
patterns at each pass, such as to "scramble" the ghost information.

Because one would have to actually "open" the hard drive and use
advanced machinery to extract information that was overwritten *once*,
it does not mean that doing a simple "delete" is sufficient, since in
this case it is not overwritten at all, which allows for a simpler
recovery with OS tools.

By the way, anybody knows what are the Linux tools for that?  Something
similar to DOS "undelete"?

Mathieu.