> Why 20 times? How is it possible to recover a file that has been overwritten once?

Forensics :).

I don't understand that well how this works at the lower (physical) level,
but even so, I'd imagine it could be a moot point for binary files, i.e.,
traces of pr0n ::).

Even if you don't shred, after an erase and a few writes to the same
general area you might end up with a few lines of jpeg -- maybe not
even enough to raise their suspicions and give them probable cause to go
use forensics to try and recover the rest. Unless of course certian
bit patterns are worth looking for and in and of themselves exclaim pr0n!
that is.

For sensitive text documents, shredding is a good thing if you're Enron
or some other big corporation.