> > Shredding it will overwrite the file about 20 times making it
> > impossible to recover.
>
> Why 20 times? How is it possible to recover a file that has been
> overwritten once?

I imagine that if you measure the 1's and 0's with a device that takes
an analog reading, you can tell wether it was previously a 1 or a 0.  I
could see this possibly working for a few iterations.

I think i also heard that each time a a write takes place, the location
radially is not perfect, so if you look at the edges you can see preious
data. Presumably in normal use the read head looks at a narrower path
than the write head.

Not sure which (if either) method is valid...

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Join the content organization discussion:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/WebIndex

Join the General Wiki Development discussion:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/DevelopingTheMandrakeCommunity#Discussion