ed tharp wrote:

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 12:04, John Richard Smith wrote:

ed tharp wrote:

you know you 'can' scan from within gimp... if you have all the packages
installed

if you have the xsane-gimp and xsane installed it should anyway.

That is quite true, you can scan withing gimp , but right now the problem is to get sane to scan correctly at all. The original messagee complained about the quality of the result. I wanted to make sure sane is installed( behind the programme he is using is almost certainly sane backends) properly and set up for his make model of scanner.

John

yep, think the quality problem is most likely rooted in the size he is
scanning the image to, then reducing it,,,, and then saving it in some
other format, every step degrading some,,, but 600dpi 'ought to be' a
big enough file to start with.

I agree, 600 dpi is quite suffient to replicate a CD cover.
So something is messing up.
I wanted to make sure the make and model is supported in sane backends first.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]