On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:05, Marco Verheul wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm strugling with scanning images. I'd like to scan a CD cover, so that
> i can save it with the same dimension as the real thing.

Couple more points:

1) More thoughts on Kover, after re-reading the scantips web-site, in
particular the following paragraph:

"To print images at the actual original size on the paper, the value for
resolution entered into the scanner's TWAIN driver is both the scanning
resolution and the printing resolution (assuming 100% Scale Factor). The same
resolution (same dots per inch) is what makes the image print at actual real
size. Scan and print, that's about all there is to it, unless your printing
software interferes with its own notions about how it should be done. TIF and
JPG image files store this resolution number in the file for later use (GIF
files do not), and good applications will honor it. Some applications do not.
"

Seems it's Kover's problem then, perhaps using screen resolution instead of
the scan/print resolution.  Perhaps a bug-report is in order?  Then again,
that would assume that all images used on the cover were originally
cover-sized.  If you're creating your own cover using, or using an old LP
cover or something, then you wouldn't want that behaviour.  Hmmmm, should be
an option, I guess.

Personally, I think Kover should have the ability to directly scan the cover
image using the KDE scanning library as a plugin, that way it can work out
for itself what to do.  I also think that Kover itself should be integrated
into K3B as a one-stop-shop.  n e-mail to the author is in order, I think...

2) After my earlier rant, I decided to go looking for other scanning software
to use, and re-discovered Quiteinsane.  No RPM's are available, but it
compiled quite happily on my machine and I'm now playing with it to see if it
works any better than XSane or Kooka.  It looks to be XSane with a KDE
interface.  Still not idiot-proof, but does what you tell it to, unlike
XSane.

The only problem is in the configure step, which can give some misleading
error messages.  First make sure you have the following packages installed
(in addition to all the usual developer packages you need for compiling from
source):

libsane1
libsane1-devel
sane-backends
libjpeg62
libjpeg62-devel
libieee1284
libieee1284-devel
libgphoto2
libgphoto2-devel
libusb0.1_4
libusb0.1_4-devel

Next you need to run configure with the following options:

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt3 --enable-mt
--enable-kde-app

Finally do the usual make/make install to get it running.

I'll suggest to Texstar that he make a package, seeing as that's something I
don't (yet) know how to do :-)

John.