Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Sunday September 14 2003 01:32 am, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

Tom Brinkman wrote:

Anyway, ya just gotta ask yourself why t'hell you would want,
or would need to regularly update everything with force an
nodeps in the first place (?) Specially cooker

Is anyone reading my posts?

Yes, I know --allow-force != --force, if nothin goes wrong, if it works as it's supposed to, if the mirrors aren't borked. You haven't had any updates in the last month or so remove most of KDE, without asking? Remove other files, links, and even directories, without askin?

Not one single time. I wouldn't unless I used options that allowed urpmi to go through doing it's thing without asking me what I want it to do when there's a problem. This is exactly why I use the options that I use. I reserve the option of using more drastic measures to get the job done. I don't always, and should not always, use those measures.

Let me say it again. When you run the command above it will try
to install the packages. If it runs into a dependency it can't
resolve it asks me if I want to try to install the offending
package without checking for dependencies. I say yes or no
depending on what the package is and what the possible effects
would be of allowing it to do so. If I say no it exits. If I
say yes it then tries to install the packages without checking
for dependencies. If it still cannot do it because of a conflict
with an already installed package it asks if I want to force the
install. I again have the option of saying Y or n. If I say no
it exits. If I say yes it installs the package without checking
anything. It forces it to install without any regard for
breaking dependencies or conflicting with existing packages.

So I ask again, why do you believe that usin --allow-force and --allow-nodeps regularly is a good idea? I'm sure you know what you're doin, but IMO, it's dangerous, and could be misconstrued by a lot of newbie cookers as a good thing to do regularly. It's not. It's not even a good thing to do in the few cases it's needed. Better to switch mirrors, get the src.rpm and rebuild it, or wait till the problem is fixed in cooker and/or on the mirrors. I believe since cooker unfroze shortly after 9.1 release, I've needed/used either --allow option all of about twice. And then just waitin a day or so for new updates on the mirrors would've made --allow-* unnecessary.

used absentmindedly.  You have to think about what you are doing
when you add that extra option (-f).

I was referring to the rm command.

I have. I added it a long time ago when the mirrors were worse than they are now. It only gets the synthesis.hdlist download (a few extra seconds), needed or not. I did it because the hdlist wasn't being updated even tho the one in ../base on the mirror was newer. Due to upgrades in urpmi and perl-URPM, it no longer seems to have any effect and isn't needed. I've been meaning to take it out. But it can't/doesn't hurt anything to leave it in either.
urpmi.update -a -f --wget && urpmi --wget --no-verify-rpm --auto-select -v
It'd be nice if signatures were proper and --no-verify-rpm wasn't still needed too. It'd be nice if the mirrors were more dependable and --wget wasn't needed also. But they're not dangerous options. And I know Mandrake has little or no control over donated mirrors. In a perfect cooker world all that would be needed is urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select

YMMV,

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux user #322847 | Linux machine #207465 | http://counter.li.org/
   AMD Duron 1.3GHz | Mandrake 9.1 | Kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk
               KDE 3.1.3 | Mozilla 1.4 Mail Client
Uptime:
12:55:00 up 9 days, 11 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.61, 0.34, 0.23

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)