You can do either of two things. When Lilo starts and you see its prompt (
LILO:), instead of typing "linux" , you type "linux 3" to force the system
to go into runlevel 3 (command line mode). If you want to boot permanently
into runlevel 3, open your editor and edit the file /etc/initab to read
id:3:initdefault