On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 11:16 am, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Could someone please set the record straight...
> Do files on ext3 filesystems get and stay fragmented?  Does this degrade
> performance?  What tools are available to defrag?
> TIA
> Paul

Answers
Not to any significant degree, No, and Possibly, but why bother.

To give background I will explain how files are put onto Microsoft VFAT
partitions and Ext3

In VFAT partitions the disc is divided into blocks.
When a file is written it is divided into block sized chunks. The first block
is always written to the first available block on the HD, the second goes to
the next available block and so on. This means that as files are deleted
holes open up in the block allocation, and subsequent files get fragmented if
they are larger than the first available hole. Eventually the HD gets
hopelessly fragmented and a defrag is required.

By contrast Ext3 divides the HD into inodes. When a file is written to HD it
is written to an area large enough  to hold it as a continuous file without
fragmenting. If there is no area large enough, then it gets fragmented.
The effect with Ext3 is that so long as the free space on the HD is relatively
large compared to the size of individual files, then fragmentation is
negligible.
It is only when the HD is nearly full, or you have a lot of really huge files
being written/deleted you might get fragmentation. In that case I believe XFS
is a better file system to use. (but am not sure why)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net