On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 20:16, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> Could someone please set the record straight...
> Do files on ext3 filesystems get and stay fragmented?  Does this degrade
> performance?  What tools are available to defrag?
> TIA
> Paul

Fragmentation for any ext file system (or any of the other unix/linux
file systems) is not the same as with a FAT/FAT32/NTFS file system; you
rarely if ever would require the usage of anything to reorganise the
file structure as they're just not made that way.

That is the one thing you can throw away for worrying, mate. Ditto with
viruses.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company