cervixcouch wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:58:49 -0500, "s" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

On Thursday 18 September 2003 08:30 pm, cervixcouch wrote:

I've tried "mke2fs /dev/fd0"  AND "fdformat /dev/fd0" both of which
appear to have worked, i.e. no error messages.

make sure supermount is disabled, and the the floppy isn't mounted. fdformat first, then mkdosfs. really vfat should be used on floppies, even if it's for linux files.

I tried formatting the floppy as a DOS floppy and was able to copy files
to it.

But why does it make a difference?  I formatted my zip drive as ext2 and
it works fine.

And if/since it does make a difference, why is "Linux" even offered as a
file system option in KFloppy?  In what situations would that work?

It's more the case that "linux" as an option wouldn't work on a windows machine if you wanted to use your files there as well.
Hence use a format that can be accessed from a windows PC should it ever be necessary.

--
                Azrael

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

ICQ#52944566
Registered Linux User: 269002