cervixcouch wrote:

This seems like it should be so simple, but it just won't work.

Using 'Gnome Floppy' and 'Floppy Formater' completely hangs my system, so
I've been trying to format a linux floppy so I can save some files.

I've tried "mke2fs /dev/fd0" AND "fdformat /dev/fd0" both of which
appear to have worked, i.e. no error messages.

I can "umount /mnt/floppy" then "mount /mnt/floppy" without a problem.

Yet when I try to copy anything to the floppy, using "cp testfile.txt
/mnt/floppy", I get the error message:

cp: cannot stat '/mnt/floppy/testfile.txt': Input/Output error

What does 'cannot stat' mean?

What am I doing wrong?

try,
mkfs -t vfat /dev/fd0           if you want fat32,

or,
mkfs /dev/fd0 if you want ext2 as it's default.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]