September 20, 2003 01:10 am, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> This may not be strictly Mandrake related but as there's a smart bunch
> of guys here, it seems a good place to ask.
>
> In the last few days, I've received about 20 or so returned mail
> messages that bear no relation to any mails I've sent.
>
> This is a typical example:

It's more likely someone that has your address in their Outhouse depressed
address book that has been co-opted by one of the rampant "little friends"
prone to attach themselves to Windows. It looks like a random "From"
generated by a worm I mean.

If you ain't running the Virus Transport System it's unlikely to be anything
to worry about it. Just filter it.

Charlie

> "Hi.
> I'm sorry the message returned below could not be delivered to the
> following addresses:
>

> Undeliverable mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Message follows:"
>
> (No message follows)
>

> The disturbing possibility occurs to me that my box is being somehow
> used to relay spam. Is there any way I could check? Have you guys come
> across this?  If so, how did you deal with it?
>
> Although I claimed off topic status for this, if it is the result of
> spam relay, it does have security implications for Mandrake.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9.0, and getting my mail with mozilla 1.1. I'm
> running shorewall (although I don't really understand it enough to
> fiddle with it) and Clam Anti Virus shows no infections.
>
> The group's advice would be much appreciated.

- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
Does a good farmer neglect a crop he has planted?
Does a good teacher overlook even the most humble student?
Does a good father allow a single child to starve?
Does a good programmer refuse to maintain his code?
                -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"