Scott wrote:

Hello,

I was burning ISOs of redhat 8.0 to a cd using xcdroast and got this
error:

cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0)(using -150
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
Starting new track at sector: 0

The burn completed but I'm wondering if the cd's are corrupted somehow.
So far I've burned 2 of the 5 ISOs and both produced this error.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could clue me in on what's going on and
advise me should I try to install redhat with them or paint reindeer on
them and set them around the coffee table at Christmas?

Thanks,
Scott

It's something entirely normal, the programme is being cautious and inserting a pregap to allow for duff areas at the beginning, that's all. The undelying backend, cdrecord, and whose output your are seeing here, likes to make sure you don't loose out on a bad disc write at the beginning, likewise you can sometimes squeeze a bit more out of the end of the write because it likes to finish with a significant gap at the end to allow for duff areas. Now what did I read, the actual write process begins in the center and proceeds outwards to the outer circumference, and if you turn a CD upside down in a bright light you can actually see where the lazer has been.

Don't worry about it at all.

John

--
John Richard Smith