First, a quick thank you to everyone that's chipped in on this.

I've run across, and also been pointed toward, several modeline
generators.  I present to you three of them:

1. http://www.sh.nu/nvidia/gtf.php

2. http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/modeline/modeline2.cgi

3. http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

All of them offer to pump out a modeline for you after you input the
values of the Fh and Fv ranges, and the resolution and refresh you
want to run at.  Wow, what convenience.

Using the values of Fh = 30-97, Fv = 50-160, and 1024x768 and 100 Hz
refresh however (you know what is coming, right? <vbg>) produces the
following three DIFFERENT modeline calculations: (numbers correspond
to the URLs above)

1. # 1024x768 @ 100.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 81.40 kHz; pclk: 113.31 MHz
  Modeline "1024x768_100.00"  113.31  1024 1096 1208 1392  768 769 772 814  -HSync
+Vsync

2. # V-freq: 100.00 Hz  // h-freq: 81.70 KHz
Modeline "1024x768" 124.84  1024 1088 1240 1528   768  768  771  817

3. Modeline "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" 126.64 1024 1056 1536 1568 768 781 794 807

I ask you . . . are we having fun yet?  The values wildly disagree
with each other, but since this is presumably a precise mathematical
calculation, only one of them can possibly be correct, but indeed
NONE of them NEED be correct of course.  It's possible they are all
wrong.

Certainly someone in "the community" who is really "in the know"
ought to have a look at these discrepancies, I would think, and set
the record straight for everyone else?

I certainly don't want to plug the wrong modeline in and fry a very
nice monitor.  And I'm simply not qualified to calculate my own
modeline, since I don't clearly understand the math behind it.
Obviously, from the results above, I'm not alone on that score, and
even people who think they know what they are doing well enough to
put up programs for others to use may indeed be flailing around in
the dark. Unless I am completely mistaken about this concept (a
possibility, I readily admit) at least TWO, if not all three, of the
modelines generated above are worthless, and maybe even dangerous to
use.

One thing that might help me decide if I want to take a chance on one
of these modelines:  Can anyone reading this input your own numbers
to any of the three generators and get a modeline that matches the
one that you are using in XFconfig-4?  That would be very interesting
information to have.

Lance