Hi Richard,

<trimmed where appropriate>

RU> On Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 4:39 am, Lance Cummings wrote:

>> It's possible they are all wrong.

RU> Not at all. They are all using different dot clock frequencies to give
RU> you the same display.

Well how about that.  Truly, I never would have guessed.  I sure
appreciate this information, and I wonder how widely this is known.

RU> I cannot find anywhere in the thread a mention of which video card
RU> you're using. What is its maximum clock rate?

I think I mentioned it sometime near the very beginning of this, but
in any case it is an nVida based card, a GeForce4 MX440.  The maximum
clock rate is 350 MHz -- which I certainly did not mention, because
it took me a while to find it.

RU> The output of a "startx --probeonly" would be very helpful. It
RU> would tell us the rates that the monitor itself was happy with
RU> (if for  example viewsonic changed the spec halfway through
RU> production.) It would tell us the dot rates that the card was
RU> capable of, and it might even tell us the specifications of the
RU> sync pulses.

Okay <screaming newbie alert> I had no success with "startx
--probeonly". I tried it just about as many ways as I could think of
to try it. Maybe it *was* doing what it was supposed to do, and I
just did not realize it.  In any case, I get X opening, to a desktop
I've not seen before. (I tried this both as lance and as root.)  Do I
need to pipe the output to a file?  If so, can you specify the
command?

RU> If you were you, I'd try all three. If one works then we don't
RU> need to bother going any further. If not then send me the output
RU> of "startx --probeonly" and I'll extract the interesting bits for
RU> the list (IIRC it's rather long.) And also post the spec of the
RU> video card.

As for trying them, I'm not sure exactly how to do it.  There seems
to only be 3 modelines at all in XF86Config-4.  These modelines do
not seem related to the frequency I'm running at, but seem to be for
a Sony laptop and some TV settings.  Well, I'll give it a go and see
what happens.

One thing you might clarify for me: It is my suspicion that only
rather prolonged running of the monitor (more than 2 or 3 minutes at
least) at specifications it's not designed for would damage it.  Is
that right?  If so, I can feel a bit freer to experiment, because I
do know how to set the file back.  But if I'm risking permanent
damage by simply trying a modeline that is wrong, I'd rather not fool
around.

Thanks for your help,

Lance