Hi Richard

On Saturday 27 September 2003 21:23, you wrote:

> Resending this, as it hasn't shown up and KMail had no email From
> email address set.
>
> Phew! I'm back again. I just had a very nasty disk crash taking /
> and /home away to the filesystem in the sky. I even *considered*
> doing a backup the day before... So forgive me if I sound
> forgetful, I would have to visit the archives to check up on the
> thread.

No problem.  My sympathies, and I was there once.  I never want to be
there again, and backups are done too often now.  <g>  I use a big
portable USB drive, normally offline, and image partitions to it,
and I also have a batch file I run using a neat little (Windows)
utility called xxcopy.  Clones the essential files very very
quickly.  The batch file is very nice -- I can dump every essential
file on the box to that USB in just a few minutes.  The imaging
program is Acronis True Image, which is another real nice piece of
work, allowing any Windows partition, including XP and 2000 system
partitions, to be imaged on the fly from inside the GUI.

> So the maximum dot clock rate is 200MHz, or maybe a bit less, to
> keep your monitor happy. So any of the three modelines would work,
> and since the highest dot clock was 126MHz, you could get higher
> than a 100Hz refresh.

One of the things you missed while you were gone is that the refresh
rate is now settled successfully.  And I do appreciate the help you
offered.  I took your advice and simply tried them.  One was very
close to perfect, another needed a large adjustment, and the third
was seemingly way off the mark, giving me a view through a 7-Up
bottle (are they still green, and does anyone still drink it?).

> > RU> The output of a "startx --probeonly" would be very helpful.

> > Okay <screaming newbie alert> I had no success with "startx
> > --probeonly".

> OK, my bad. The option is to the X server, not the startx command.
> Try
>       XFree86 -probeonly > file1.txt 2>file2.txt
> (Reading the manual I thnk all the useful information comes out on
> stderr, so a simple > redirection would not catch it. This way you
> get the info either in file1.txt or file2.txt)
>
> Note that that's a single -, as given in "man XFree86" and not a
> double -- as given by Eric Raymond. One of them may be wrong...
>
> Remember that to kill the server if in fact it starts by accident,
> it's ctrl-alt-backspace.

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

> You might find hints about where to put them and so forth if you
> take a look at XF86Config (with no -4). That's the one for version
> 3, which did not do so much automatically, there's probably a
> wealth of modelines in there. (I wouldn't actually try any of them
> though.)

I did that, thanks.  The confusing part was that there were *no*
useable modelines in -4, and that was confusing to me because I
didn't understand the way the system was working automatically.  I
have a slightly better idea about what is happening now.

> > One thing you might clarify for me: It is my suspicion that only
> > rather prolonged running of the monitor (more than 2 or 3
> > minutes at least)

> I'm not a video engineer. It is my understanding that a reasonably
> close modeline wont damage a modern monitor quickly, and that if
> you get a picture then you wont be causing damage.

The more I read about this, the less concerned I am about it.
Xvidtune warnings aside, apparently most modern monitors (at least
less than 5 years old) of any reasonable quality will not fry this
way.  Apparently a lot of circuit breaker type stuff has been put in
to prevent people who haven't read "Modelines for Dummies" from
hurting the monitor.  ^_^

Thanks for your help Richard.  Please keep an eye on my threads so
you can grasp just how much one human being does not know.

Lance