On Saturday 27 September 2003 05:43 pm, ed tharp wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 15:07, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

<snip>

> > His problem is modem related. It is an E-Tech 56K Flex V.90.
> > Extern hardware modem. It seems to come with a Rockwell
> > chipset. When running drakconnect, he can go as far as to
> > query the modem. Then : nothing. No strings, no connection,
> > nada.
> >
> > I've googled around to no avail. Doesn't show up on the
> > compatibility lists, be it Mandrake, RedHat or S.u.S.E..
> > Some posts on mailing lists claims it incompatible, some
> > not.
> >
> > Questions :
> >
> > 1. Does anyone here know if it is compatible ?
> > 2. If it isn't : what modems are ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> if this is an external serial connected modem, as long as you
> are looking at the correct ttySx where x equals the 'real'
> number of the serial port you should not be having this
> problem, does the serial port have a setting to disable it in
> bios? what ttyS0 is the config pointing to

</snip>

OK Ed, his modem is a serial one, external. It is connected to
ttsy1. - (I guess ttys0 is occupied by his original winmodem) -
and drakconnect recognizes it - somehow. I don't know about his
BIOS. We'll try again. - What about this Rockwell chipset - does
it matter ? I saw something about "software compression" not
working in linux on this chipset (whatever that is).

Thanks Ed, I'm afraid we have a long journey ahead of us.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*