On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 03:21, Margot wrote:
> yankl wrote:
> > On Monday 29 September 2003 05:37 am, Margot wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks to all who have tried to help with this. Still no sound, but I
> >>don't have any more time and energy to devote to this problem right now.
> >>
> >>It seems I messed up on my reinstall when I was trying to get the
> >>internet connection going - succeeded in that but broke everything else!
> >>
> >>I'm still running 9.0 - 9.2 will be ready soon, and I can live without
> >>sound until then, and then perhaps someone can point me to a checklist
> >>so I make sure I get the 9.2 installation right!
> >>
> >>Thanks again for all your time and patience - even though we din't fix
> >>it, I've learned a lot of useful stuff!
> >>
> >>Margot
> >
> > Margot,
> > I am sorry that you gave up on your sound.
> > I have one more idea may be you like to try it. In the past I had a problem
> > where too much time where assigned for a process to hold a sound device. So
> > in the kde control center (kcontrol not mcc) you need to change parameter in
> > Sound -> Sound System. Check mark auto suspend if idle for: and change time
> > to about 1 second . Then in the LookNFeel -> Sytem Notification disable all
> > sound notifications.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion Yankl - I gave it a go, but sadly it didn't
> make any difference.
>
> Margot

One more thing,,, If I am correct about these facts; this is an 'onboard
sound chip', and you have enabled it in one place in your bios, after
having disabled it previously to use a add on (pci-or-isa) sound card.

there is in some bios a second (and much more hidden) setting to enable
the on board sound it might be under a different menu, and you might
even have to scroll down to find it, (if my memory serves, and what a
joke that would be) I have one setting under legacy devices and another
in PCI control, or something along those lines. check every entry on
your BIOS for a second sound setting...

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org